Our History

 
Charles Oma Maddox

Charles Oma Maddox

Charles Maddox Sr.

Charles Maddox Sr.

Charles Maddox Jr.

Charles Maddox Jr.

Arthur Maddox

Arthur Maddox

In the horse and buggy days of 1908, Charles Oma Maddox and C.R. Edmonds purchased from Mr. W. C. Arey the funeral business which was operated as Edmonds and Maddox.  These men had connections to local funeral service going back to at least the 1870s.  The funeral home was originally located on East Main Street in the former Middle Hotel building.  Two years later, Mr. Maddox bought C.R. Edmonds’ interest, and E. Barr Samsell, a stonecutter, joined the firm.  In 1912, the funeral home moved into the Davis Roy Building in the old armory on Main Street which later became the site of the J.J. Newberry Store.  Mr. Samsell remained a partner in the business until 1937 at which time Oma Maddox purchased his interest.  In 1946, Maddox Funeral Home moved to its current location at 105 West Main Street which was the former residence of William C. Armstrong.

The funeral home itself was built in 1881, a beautiful building that preserves a peace, warmth, and home-like character.  Since the purchase of this property, there have been many changes made in the building to meet the requirements of a modern funeral home.

Maddox Funeral Home, Inc. has progressively grown with the community under the management of four generations of the same family.  In addition to Mr. Charles Oma Maddox, Mr. Charles R. Maddox, Sr. and his son Charles R. Maddox, Jr. continued the management of the funeral home.  Currently, Arthur R. Maddox, the fourth generation, is President, and his wife Sharon B. Maddox is Vice-President.  This direct father-to-son training has allowed us to be in constant awareness of the needs and desires of the citizens of our area.  During this entire period, we have exerted every effort to render the best service possible.  We are always ready to help you and your family, whether it is making pre-arrangements, planning a funeral, or choosing a cemetery memorial.  We are four generations serving Front Royal, Warren County, and surrounding areas since 1908.